The mission of the Saskatchewan Irrigation Projects Association (SIPA) is to represent the interests of irrigation in Saskatchewan through one common voice. It is dedicated to the expansion of irrigation while ensuring the efficient use of Saskatchewan’s water resources. It is committed to promoting to all citizens the values and benefits of irrigation for the province’s growth and economic well-being, now and into the future.
SIPA adopted five basic principles as the basis for developing policy with respect to rehab, infill and new irrigation development in Saskatchewan:
- Long term & uninterrupted
- Fully funded
- Co-operation between government departments and agencies
- Universal and available province wide
- One-stop service
- The SIPA board will develop and implement a plan to advocate for irrigation projects in Saskatchewan, representing irrigation concerns and lobbying government and stakeholders on behalf of the association, its members and other irrigators.
- SIPA will become the point of entry for new projects and will assist with the formation of new districts.
- The SIPA board will develop and implement a strategy to promote the benefits of irrigation.
- The SIPA board will develop a plan to provide direct input to government, assist the government with setting policy that impacts irrigation by providing options and recommendations for the implementation of those policies.
- The board will develop a process to assist with the expansion of irrigable acres.
- SIPA’s 2022-2027 Strategic Plan can be found here.
Development of irrigation policies must originate with producers and be adopted by decision makers.
Irrigation practices must be appropriate and effectively protect our environment.
SIPA and its members must partner with government, industry, recreation, wetlands and others who have a stake in our water resources.